Urbandale Dollars for Scholars® Scholarships
Interested in scholarships but concerned about the time it takes to apply? Now, the Urbandale Dollars for Scholars program makes it easier than ever! Urbandale High School students may create an online profile which enables students to apply for and be matched to local and national scholarships. By creating an online profile, students will be able to see scholarships available to them and choose the scholarships they wish to apply for—parents can also view student progress on the application.
Be sure to develop your online application profile NOW to be alerted about scholarship opportunities. Applications are due April 1 of every year.
Our local scholarships are categorized as follows:
“General” Dollars for Scholars Scholarships
Donations are received throughout the year in support of Urbandale Dollars for Scholars scholarships. These funds are pooled together in order to award “general” Dollars for Scholars scholarships that are based on merit (e.g. academics, work, activities, community involvement). Scholarships are awarded incrementally by score based on funds available each year. These scholarships are considered “general” Dollars for Scholars scholarships as they do not have a sponsoring individual’s or organization’s name associated with them. Your completion of the Dollars for Scholars online application profile is all that is needed in order to apply for these scholarships.
“Named” Dollars for Scholars Scholarships
In addition to “general” Dollars for Scholars scholarships, there are also scholarships that are sponsored by individuals, businesses, and organizations who have donated $500 or more; these scholarships are given in the sponsors name. In previous years, the following groups have sponsored scholarships in their name: Urbandale Lions & Lioness clubs, Hummels Nissan, RDG Architects, West Bank, Urbandale Alumni Association, and Urbandale Chamber of Commerce. These scholarships are also based on merit (e.g. academics, work, activities, community involvement). Your completion of the Dollars for Scholars online application profile is all that is needed in order to apply for these scholarships.
Scholarships Based on Custom Eligibility Requirements
There are also local scholarships with custom eligibility requirements or criteria. These scholarships require additional application information in order to meet the criteria associated with each scholarship. Thus, in addition to completing the Dollars for Scholars online application profile, you will need to complete additional information requested in the application process for each of the following scholarships.
- Brad Peyton Memorial Fruit of the Spirit Scholarship Fund ($2,000)
- Scholarship is renewable for a second year with a minimum 2.5 GPA in freshman year of college (total available $4,000).
- Dawn Ipson Memorial Scholarship ($500)
- This scholarship is payable in second year of post-secondary education.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA on 4.0 scale in 1st year of post-secondary education.
- Must plan to study or major in culinary arts or food/nutrition-related field
- George E and Helen E Newsom Scholarship (2 scholarships for $2,500 each)
- Minimum 3.0 GPA on 4.0 scale
- Awarded to one female student and one male student
- Need-based scholarship
- Johnson Family Scholarship ($500)
- Available to a student under a current IEP (Independent Education Plan)
- Urbandale Alumni Association Legacy Scholarship ($500)
- At least one parent or grandparent must be a graduate of Urbandale High School
Don’t delay! Apply today! All applications are due April 1 of every year.